HANUKKAH - THE FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS
One of the main features of the Festival of Hanukkah is the lighting
of the Hanukiah, the nine-branched candelabra. As we light an additional candle for each
of the eight days of the festival, we may recall some of the biblical references to light.
I have chosen eight references out of very many. I think if we think about them we will
enter into more of God's light. In all these passages there is a reference to the word
"light" or a derivative.
- Genesis 1:3 Creation: Light was the first thing God created.
All growing things depend on light for life. God is the source of all life.
- Exodus 27:20 Spiritual Truth: The Menorah (candlestick) in the
temple was the only source of light. God is the only source of spiritual light.
- Psalm 78:14 God's Presence: The light of the pillar of fire,
representing God's Presence with his people.
- Psalm 89:15 God's Blessing:The light of God's countenance is
an expression of His blessing (see Numbers 6:22-27)
- Psalm 119:105 God's Word: God's Word provides us with
direction in life.
- Isaiah 49:6 The Promised Messiah: The Messiah was to be a
light to the nations, bringing salvation to them (see also Luke 2:32).
- Matthew 5:14 Yeshua's Disciples: Yeshua called his followers
the light of the world.
- John 8:12 Yeshua Himself: Yeshua said, "I am the Light of
[ Back to TorahBytes Home ] [ Hanukkah Page ]